Monday, November 21, 2011

Kristy's Split Pea Soup Recipe

I normally start my soup around 9 AM and let it cook all day and serve when the
husband gets home from work.
(Note: the crockpot that I use holds approximately 160 ounces of liquid)

LONG VERSION
Here you go:

1 medium onion sautéed in a pan with butter until translucent
add onion to crockpot

3 stalks of celery
(I chop mine in the food processor, but if you do not have a food processor just cut celery up fine)
add to crockpot

4 medium carrots (I chop mine up fine in the food processor, but if you do not have a food processor, just cut into 1/4 inch slices or smaller)
add to crockpot

100 oz = approx. 14 cups of cold water (it does not have to be exact)
(unless that is too much for your crockpot to hold. If you need to subtract the water do so.)
add to crockpot

1-32oz unsalted vegetable cooking stock (Kitchen Basics brand is what I use)
add stock to crockpot

3 cups of washed and drained split peas
add to crockpot
(Additional if you want, add one bag of frozen peas, my girls like it that way :) )

Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
add to crockpot

pinch of red pepper flakes
add to crockpot

Add 2-1/2 cups of smoked ham (precooked) (cut up into large chunks) add to crockpot.
((I do not add salt because the ham has plenty of salt, which is enough flavor for my family.))

6 medium sized potatoes unpeeled (cubed into medium chucks)
add to crockpot
Set crockpot to HIGH for 5 to 6 hours, until split peas are mushy/dissolved
Turn down to medium after 5 hours until you serve.


SHORT VERSION:
Alessi Soup Mix in a bag (add to crock pot)
add 12 cups of water (add to crock pot)
2-1/2 cups of split peas (add to crock pot)
add 6 medium potato's cut into chunks
add 2-1/2 cups of smoked precooked ham

Cook for 4 hours

No comments: