Monday, October 17, 2011

Freezing Whole Tomatoes

 My mother has gotten me hooked on buying my tomatoes in large crate/bushels towards the end of the season 2nds (end of September and beginning of Oct) and placing them in the freezer after they've been boiled (flash freezing.)  Love this tip/trick because I can get a bushel for $6.00 and it lasts us all winter and into spring.  Similar to canning but a faster process.  Just pull out a bag from the freezer and dump out the whole tomatoes for simmering in soup, chili, over steaks, etc.

 Pomodoro tomatoes that I cooked and freeze:

core out the seeds 
Boil for 10 minutes, until skins are coming off:

Place the cooked tomatoes in ice cube water (to stop the cooking process.)
Then deskin all the tomatoes.
(The below photos and tomatoes from my mother's house and are and example of my mother's batch):
skins to the trash:
Peel and place into freezer bags: 


No comments: